Friends and Neighbors...
- Barbara Brousal, founder of the Pickin' Party.
- Kate and Lou were longtime members of the NYC bluegrass/old-time scene, and Pickin' Party regulars. Lou passed away in 2006, and this site is dedicated to him. Kate is still singing and writing and giving us all great music.
- The Cobble Hillbillies, Pickin' Party host Brad Einhorn's band.
- The Y'all Stars play string band music with an emphasis on close harmony. Singer/guitarist Fran Leadon hosted the pickin' party after Barbara moved on.
- Everyone feels safer when Sherriff Uncle Bob is in town.
- Westchester's bluegrass guru, Banjo Ben Freed has online banjo lessons, lists of jam sessions and bluegrass/old-time organizations, and his own articles and interviews with area musicians.
- Ken Ficara, a Brooklyn harmonica player and songwriter, does web development as a day job and built this site, among others.
- Adam Nash's NYC Bluegrass is a comprehensive listing of bands, jams, concerts and other information about pickin' in the city.
- WKCR, Columbia University's radio station, has been a key resource for bluegrass musicians and fans for decades, and you'll hear Pickin' Party stalwarts like Sherriff Uncle Bob on Honky Tonkin', every Tuesday night at 9.30.
- Brooklyn Country Music is Alex Battle's site listing local country music. Alex sponsors the Brooklyn Country Music Festival, the CashHank jam, and many other great events.
- GoodmusicNY is a good source for country and other good music in NYC.
- Kings County Strings sells mandolins and guitars, and is an official vendor for Wegen picks.
- Many beautiful photos of the Ponkiesburg Pickin' Party are available directly from the photographer. For information contact Jeremy M. Lange.
- We recommend: Doucet Guitar Works Fretted Instrument Repair and Restoration.
"Dave Doucet has worked on several instruments for me and always does fast, reasonably priced, and immaculate work" -- Fran Leadon